A heroic mum stormed into a burning bungalow while running late on the school run to save the life of a 91-year-old woman.
Muriel Heathcote’s Blackwell home had caught fire just before 9am on March 4, which caused severe damage.
Firefighters were called to the scene to battle the blaze and police closed a stretch of Alfreton Road while the incident was dealt with.
Lauren Mottram, was running late as she was dropping off her son at school, when she noticed smoke pouring from the property and quickly ran inside to help the elderly woman.
The 29-year-old waitress found her crying for help and she pulled her out of the building, before seeing flames blow out of the windows – but she has played down the incident saying she would “do it again”.
She said: “We were late as usual, but walking near there, I could see smoke coming from the windows and I could hear the alarms going off, I thought ‘this doesn’t seem right.’
“I’m from Blackwell, so I knew this woman from when I was a kid, she used stand at her gate and tell us off when we were being rebellious.
“Without even thinking I sent my son to find my mum and ran into the house.”
After kicking in the door which she says was slightly open, she said she found Mrs Heathcote unable to get out and crying out for help.
Never miss another Derbyshire Live story with free email updates
There’s an easy way to guarantee you never miss another Derbyshire Live story – just subscribe to receive free email updates.
You’ll get daily newsletters, as well as breaking news as it happens, straight to your inbox.
Just select the newsletters you want to receive here – or enter your email into the black box at the top of this story.
She said: “I couldn’t see a thing because of the smoke. The flames were really high in the corner of the living room where she sits, they were hitting the roof.
“She had managed to get to the living room door, but she couldn’t go any further because her walking frame was too hot to touch.
“I just managed to throw her arms around me and pull her out. It’s a good job I was running late really, she wouldn’t have stood a chance otherwise. She couldn’t get out herself.”
Once the pair were outside, Ms Mottram said the fire began spreading even quicker, blowing out the windows of the bungalow just minutes after they had escaped.
After a nurse who was driving past began looking after Mrs Heathcote, the brave mum informed the neighbours of the blaze so they could get to safety.
Thankfully neither were seriously harmed in the incident and Mrs Heathcote was taken to hospital shortly after.
Ms Mottram describes how Mrs Heathcote was shockingly calm once they were outside and called her a “trooper”.
She said: “You don’t have time to think or be scared, it’s just a natural reaction. I knew she was on her own, so it was instinct to run in and pull her out.
“People have been saying that not many people would have done it, but I’d like to think someone would run into my house and get me out.”
In the aftermath Ms Mottram has received an outpouring of support for her bravery on social media, which she admits is overwhelming.
She said: “I don’t want people to make a fuss of me, I just want her to be alright. It’s an extremely strange feeling.
“My son was obviously quite scared at school that day, but all the teachers kept telling him I was a superhero.”
Mrs Heathcote’s family also visited her to give her a bouquet of flowers and thank her for her heroics, she hopes to visit the 91-year-old when she is able to.
Steve Ratcliffe, station manager of the Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service, believes Ms Mottram’s actions saved her life.
He said: “Whilst Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service would never recommend entering a fire, we would like to commend the actions of the passer-by, they most likely saved the occupants life.
“Sadly, this is another accidental fire caused by smoking materials. Between October and December 2020, the service responded to nine accidental fires caused by smoking materials.
“Four of these are described by the service as high severity fires and one being a fatal fire, so we really do need to ensure people know how to stay safe and prevent such devastating fires occurring.
“I’d ask anyone who smokes to take a couple of minutes to read our advice on preventing a smoking related fire in the home and if you have elderly family, friends or neighbours, please take a minute to check they know who to stay safe too.”