Man died on holiday in Portugal from illness caused by his work decades earlier

A Derby pensioner died on holiday abroad from a condition caused by his work decades earlier, an inquest has heard.

Christopher Slater died at Portimão State Hospital in the Algarve, Portugal, where he was on holiday with his wife, on September 19, last year.

The 68-year-old’s body was repatriated back to Derbyshire before a postmortem was carried out to determine his cause of death.

A documentary inquest, heard at Derby Coroners’ Court, revealed that the underlying cause of death was the lung cancer mesothelioma, a disease he was diagnosed with following a history of occupational asbestos exposure.

Mr Slater, who lived in Shardlow Road, Alvaston, worked at power stations in Spondon, Drakelow and Castle Donington during his career.

The inquest heard that he began to feel unwell in early 2019, and suffered from a persistent cough and breathlessness.

He was diagnosed with stage one mesothelioma in February last year, and underwent an operation to remove part of his lung lining in May in the hope of extending and improving his quality of life.

But he encountered a difficult recovery and suffered from a chest infection, before recovering enough to be able to go on holiday.

A report carried out by Dr Andrea Nagy, a consultant medical oncologist at the Royal Derby Hospital, revealed what caused Mr Slater’s death.

Video Loading

He had lobar pneumonia in his right lung, bronchopneumonia in his left lung. Other contributing factors were named as ischemic heart disease and an collapsed lung, which had been operated on.

But the underlying cause of death was confirmed as mesothelioma at the inquest hearing on Thursday. (September 17)

In her conclusion, assistant coroner Louise Pinder said: “Mr Slater died as a result of an industrial disease.”

Miss Pinder concluded the inquest by expressing her condolences to the family of the deceased.


Courtesy of Derbyshire Live – Derby News