Outbreak of Covid-19 confirmed at care home in Derby

A care home in Derby has confirmed it is dealing with an outbreak of coronavirus and non-essential visits have been suspended.

A number of staff and residents at Kiwi House Care Home, in Coleman Street, Allenton, have tested positive for Covid-19 in the last week.

Derbyshire Live had been contacted by the relative of a resident who claimed that nine people at the site, including their relative, had caught the disease.

Although the home did not confirm exactly how many people have caught the virus, it did say that there were positive tests among both staff and residents.

According to a 2018 Care Quality Commission report, the site can accommodate 78 people, with 72 people being present during the last inspection, where it was rated as ‘Good’.

The relative of one resident who has caught the disease, who asked to remain anonymous, said they were fraught with worry about the situation.

They said: “We were told some of the staff had been poorly and sent home, and that they had tested some residents who had tested positive on Wednesday,” they said.

“They’ve now got to stay in their room for 10 days.

“It will be really hard for the staff to deal with, but it will be even harder for us being sat at home thinking about it.

“I was in hospital in May with coronavirus for four days, and I like to think I’m quite fit and healthy.

“Who knows how they’ll deal with it? They’re over the age of 75 and have dementia.

“It’s a fantastic place, it overlooks the park and I think they only had a few cases during the first outbreak, so it was a bit of shock to be told they had it.”

A spokesperson for Adept Care Homes, which runs the site, confirmed the outbreak.

“The management of Kiwi House confirm that following routine weekly testing last week a small number of staff and residents are coronavirus positive,” she said.

“To date all are well with either no or mild symptoms.

“The health and safety of all people in our home is always our priority. We have worked closely with all relevant health and government bodies throughout the pandemic and our robust infection control keeps the home a safe place to work and live.

“Our comprehensive contingency plan has been implemented to contain the situation.

“We understand the concern this may cause and have kept our residents’ families and team fully updated of the situation.

“Full staff rotas are being maintained along with our usual high level of service.

Subscribe to the Derby Telegraph

To help make sure you can continue to stay up-to-date with all your local news during the coronavirus outbreak, we’ve got a special offer to help you get your Derby Telegraph delivered straight to the door – and save 40% off the cost.

To sign up just follow this link and enter your details.

“Whilst there are no more suspected cases within the home at this time, we remain vigilant and continue to monitor all residents and follow all government guidelines.

“As per those guidelines any positive tested team members are self-isolating at home and all non-essential visits are suspended for the time being.”

Courtesy of Derbyshire Live – Derby News